Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Trying Something New

I love what I do.  I love it.  It exhausts me, challenges me and some days, it even defeats me.  There are times that I simply don't know what to do.  On those days, when I feel absolutely beaten, I generally spend the entire night thinking about that student who refused, was disruptive or simply disengaged.  All night.  Then, a new idea hits and just like that, I'm back, ready to try one more new idea to try to bring that child back into the learning that they must accomplish to be ready for the challenges that I know are ahead, but they have no idea is coming.

Yesterday was one of those days and last night was one of those nights.  Today some of those new ideas worked out and some of them didn't.  Tonight I have a couple of kids I need to worry about and a few that really surprised me by their personal determination and risk taking.  

This blog is my attempt to put my thoughts about teaching in some format that will let me look at them from a new perspective.  I am always looking for a way to become more reflective and to organize some thoughts.  

Middle School students are special.  Very very very special.  You have to love the age to be able to get through the day with so many of them.  I have 8th graders for my homeroom.  I think 8th graders are the most special of all.  They are almost ready for high school but still pretty young and great to work with.  High school students are scary.  Middle school students, they just want fairness.  And food.  If you are fair and have food, you're going to be fine with any 8th grader.  

My 8th graders enjoy a few special privileges including a food cupboard in the classroom where they can bring in treats to share or look for an occasional ramen noodle, or can of ravioli.  Anything hanging around in my cupboard at home can be quickly consumed if I place it in the cupboard in the classroom.  Students can make a cup of tea or cocoa to start their morning, or enjoy a chewy bar that someone has brought in. This little bit of "home" seems to go a long way with the kids.  They have dishes to use, which they then must wash.  That is a challenge every year.  It is their problem to solve, not mine.  They can have the privileges if they solve the problems.  Usually they do.  Leaders step forward to provide guidance, solutions, and dish washing training when necessary.  They don't do a great job with the dishes- some of them don't really wash them well.  So be warned if you use a dish from our classroom, you may want to wash it yourself before using it.

8th graders are also great to brainstorm with.  They have no boundaries.  No limits.  No real cares for what has always been done before.  They are dreamers and when allowed, their ideas are generally hundreds of times better than any an adult could come up with.  My students, especially my 8th graders, helped to plan and implement our proficiency based math program.  I'll share more about that in future posts.  For now,  just know that my kids have no fear of the unknown.  I can say to them, "I wonder how we could...." and just like that they are off.  They are absolutely genius at figuring out how to get around the old molds and into something that they care about.  They care.  Deeply.  They are great kids and I am grateful to them for being willing to take risks and break molds.  They will be promoted soon and move on to the high school.  Another topic that I will likely want to write about.  For a couple of more months, however, they are mine.  In that time, we may just have a few more old molds to break......



No comments:

Post a Comment