Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Grouping students to problem solve....

In our classroom we often work in groups.  Sometimes we work alone, in pairs, in small teams and sometimes whole group.  As a rule, however, we choose new groups every week and tackle the new concepts together.  I am  pro grouping, but share concerns for all of the reasons that we all can list.  Grouping can mean that some kids can get out of some of the work.  That is true.  However, grouping can also mean that the combined strength of a team will allow the students to tackle more challenging problems, exposing them to higher levels of math and more opportunities to learn.

In my classroom we have spent a good chunk of time learning how to work in a group.  Each week the students assign roles and we stick to them with a little flexibility unless things start to go sideways and then we tighten the roles back up.  We have a number of ways that we choose groups including colored sticks, pairing up problems and solutions, birthdays line up with count offs......there are a million ways and I often look to the internet for new and crazy ways to shake things up.  But mostly we use colored popsicle sticks.

Every now and again, I will find that a student has regrouped themselves.  In one moment they are where they were grouped and the next they are sitting next to their best buddy.  Sometimes I choose to put them back and sometimes I let it go.  It all depends on what I need to accomplish, what is going on socially with the group, and what the individual student needs.  Today, I let it go.  I'm glad I did.

Luck of the draw had a group of all boys working together this week.  The next thing I know, one more boy has joined the group.  Slyly.  Stealth mode.  In 8th grade when something like that happens, there is always one other immediate occurrence.  While the group in question avoids making eye contact with the teacher, every other student in the room is looking to the group- to the teacher- and back to the group again to see what will happen next.  I just smiled.  They really are an awesome group of kids.  I let it go and waited for my opportunity.

We are working on polynomials.  I love polynomials.  They are fun to work with and what is greater than saying the word, polynomials.  Nothing.  Except maybe theoretical probability.  That's fun too.  But today it was polynomials.  We can add and subtract polynomials like bandits.  We have recently learned how to multiply with multiple methods.  (We like choices.)  The groups were given a problem to solve that involved shipping a package.  The simplified version is that they needed to find the surface area, total surface area and volume of the box.  There is a story that goes with it and in the end the good guy wins but basically, they had to add, subtract, multiply and divide with polynomials. It was a really great problem.

Then there is my group of boys including the renegade. I watched them carefully waiting for a chance to catch them fooling around so that I could point out that it doesn't help them mathematically to undo my excellent grouping strategies.  I watched and waited.  I went across the room and kept my ear tuned to them.  I didn't have long to wait.  Three of the five were now sitting back and chatting about something and it wasn't a box.  I headed over ready to claim victory and make my point.

When I got closer I could see two of them huddled together.  Surely they were accessing a game on their iPad and this was going to be a double victory for the teacher.  Nope.  Not even close.  They had all finished the first steps including their full explanations (which were excellent) and now they were waiting for one of the boys to help the other.  There was some confusion and they weren't willing to just give him the answer.  Apparently he hadn't put as much effort in (according to the group) as the others and they were making sure he got it.  What could I say?  Nothing.  I said nothing.  They finished up the problem and headed into the next step together.  I got out of the way.  They successfully solved the box problem and had time to check in about a few social matters as well before time was up.

Once again, my students were the best teachers.


No comments:

Post a Comment